Introduction Letter

Fahmeda Akther

ENG 21003

Professor Sidibe

September 5, 2018

My name is Fahmeda Akther. I am currently a sophomore at the City College of New York. Throughout my educational career, I have studied at public schools. From sixth grade to ninth grade, I attended an all-girls public school. This was slightly different because the teaching style was not similar to those I was accustomed to. I felt as if the classes weren’t very challenging and didn’t require much thinking. Therefore, I aced all of my classes without putting a lot of effort into them. I then transferred to a co-ed public school in the 10th grade and graduated from there, with a better experience.

Even though I was born in New York, I am more passionate about my parent’s birth country, Bangladesh. My parents have imposed this culture on me from a very young age. As I become older, my admiration for the language, clothing, food, music and for the people of Bangladesh has grown. I have visited Bangladesh at the age of four and when I was 17 years old. Travelling at an older age was a more fulfilling experience because I got to see many parts of the country that I didn’t see during the first visit. In addition, I attended my cousin’s wedding, which was completely different than attending a Bengali wedding in America.

Transitioning into college has been slightly difficult for me. High school was easy for me for the most part. I didn’t struggle and I had good grades. However, college has been stressful because there are so many deadlines and you have to manage your time efficiently in order to stay on top of all the classes. Education is important to me because my parents didn’t have access to college and I want to make them proud by taking this opportunity to accomplish my goals.

Up until high school, I thought I was a decent writer. This perspective changed during my senior English class. My teacher pointed out some mistakes in my writing, which my previous teachers never mentioned. In this class, we didn’t write an abundant amount of essays. But on the few that we wrote, we spent a lot of time on them. For me, I thought this was beneficial because he gave back thorough feedback in order to make progress. I am grateful for this teacher because his critical and honest comments prepared me for my composition course during freshman year.

I am not certain if I want to pursue a degree in Biology or Chemistry. My goal is to become a Physician Assistant. PA’s are medical professionals who are under the supervision of physicians and surgeons. They are trained to examine patients, diagnose illnesses and provide treatment. Writing will be an important skill for me as a Physician Assistant. Being detailed is crucial because PA’s are responsible for charting patient information. In addition, they are accountable for writing a correct prescription. Being detailed is important because all of the information that is written down must be accurate, since it is about a patient’s care.

From this class, I hope to learn skills which will benefit me in my future career. I would like to develop skills to make my writing detailed and interesting. In addition, I aspire to gain skills to make my lab reports efficient for my chemistry course. For this class, my goal is to use the writing process to successfully complete the assignments. Additionally, I look forward to using this class as a practice for presenting my ideas because I get nervous speaking in front of the class.